Vegan Meal Prep?

Do you have questions or need help with this specific course? Or do you have suggestions for us? Get support here!
Brittney
Stars: 50
Course: Introduction
Courses Completed: 1/30

What are some common vegan foods that you buy when going grocery shopping?
Daan Douma
Stars: 460

I might not be the most healthy example but I'm gonna be honest

I like fast food... In the supermarket for me it's tortilla's, pizza's, "gyros", "shoarma", new generation meat replacements, "mayonaise", puff pastry etc...
And some fruit and veggies from time to time (a)

I mainly consume "complete meals" on the go: Plenny shakes and meal bars that are supposed to have everything you need. That way I get more work done with more energy.

At first I tried the more balanced approach with dishes with lentils, chick peas, nuts, seitan etc.

Which stores are accessible to you? Maybe there is more specific info on them
Brittney
Stars: 50

I don’t have too many grocery stores around. I have a 7/11 with a lot of unhealthy foods. I am incredibly new to this. I don’t even know how to cook! Lol. I want to consume whole meals so that it can fill me up.
Activist Hub
Site Admin
Stars: 12120
Course: Dairy Milk
Courses Completed: 7/31

Buy a rice cooker - best purchase you'll ever make. Rice, beans, spices, tofu, corn, vegetables, throw it in and boom you have a great meal. Breakfast: freeze some bananas, throw into a blender with some fresh or frozen fruit, soymilk, maybe add some oats, boom - amazing and healthy breakfast! This is my routine :)
Joao Meirinhos
Stars: 430
Course: Dairy Milk
Courses Completed: 2/30

By vegan foods you mean fruits and veggies? Or other style of fast food plastic packaged food?
When I usually do groceries shopping I buy a bunch of fruits that will often end in my morning muesli bowl with some sesame paste or peanut butter added to make a powerful creamy bowl of muesli to start well the day.
Some other foods I buy are usually hummus and tofu. Sometimes I also cooked with sun dried tomatoes (umami rich flavour) or some type of algae. I also often buy different types of mushrooms and even dried ones to make a good and mushroom flavoured italian risotto.
I'm also a fan of superfoods like wheatgrass, barley, spirulina that you can add to your fruit shakes or muesli bowls for your gut detox purposes or for their vitamin content.
Also, I eat a good amount of nuts from almonds, wallnuts, sunflower and sesame seeds, peanuts, raisin, dried fruit, dates, list can go on forever. You can eat them as snacks throughout the day or add them to your smoothies, toast before adding to your meals and salads, or just eat them directly :)

So, all in all, I just try to vary as much as I can the colours of the fresh fruit and veggies, legumes and nuts and other non-usual western diet foods.
Kelly Farris
Stars: 560
Courses Completed: 2/30

I’m new to veganism but I use the same principal to vegan meal prep that I did with my omnivore meal prep.
I make a big list of ingredients for meals I plan to make including pantry staples I like to keep on hand at all times (lentils, split peas, quinoa, brown rice, canned and dry beans, diced tomatoes, coconut milk, plant based pastas, nuts and seeds, etc).
I try to think of or use recipes that utilize many similar ingredients that I purchase so the fresh food doesn’t go to waste or spoils too quickly.
As soon as I get home from the grocery store I prep my vegetables according to how I’ll use them in upcoming recipes (diced, julienned, etc) and store them. This makes it quick and easy to get straight to cooking when the time comes and for me, that’s imperative since I have 2 young kids to care for so taking an hour or so to prep and get everything I can organized and stored makes for a lot less work and stress later.
It’s also handy to make things like grains in “bulk” if you wish. Make a large portion of quinoa, rice, or whatever and store in the fridge to use with multiple recipes like curries, salads, burritos, etc. One less step to do when you’re ready to cook.

I hope this is helpful!
Jeannine
Course: Honey

Greens, lentils, fruit, nuts, oatmeal, frozen berries, salad fixings for the most part.

For quick bites, pasta and sauce... tortillas and canned black beans, cilantro and red onions.
Wendy
Stars: 250

Avocados ( I like to cut them in half, broil them until golden and squeeze lime juice on top)
Potatoes (Great baked fries, home fries, nice in soups, blend with carrots and nutritional yeast)
Tater Tots ( I'm an addict, plus my 15 year old with special needs can easily cook these in the air fryer, I LOVE them in breakfast burritos)
Cactus (Canned in spanish/mexi isle, they are awesome to add to stir frys, mexican rice bowls etc)
Spinach ( great to have on hand for smoothies, wraps, stir frys, salads)
Olives (Black and green)
Falafel ( dry mix makes it easy to make gyros, falafel style veggie burgers, and super easy to cook in air fryer)
Rice, Beans, Salt Free/ Organic Canned tomatoes (usually less than $1 per can)
Smoked Paprika
Chili Powder
Nutritional Yeast
Sweet Potatoes