Hi! Vegan lvl: unlocked ^^

Introduce yourself to the vegan bootcamp community here and tell us a little about yourself and your journey!
Natacha
Stars: 320
Course: Dominion
Courses Completed: 3/30

Hi everyone!

I've been vegetarian for almost 8 years now and have been meaning to go vegan. After the trials of 2020, I am ready to commit strongly to my health and the health of our planet.

Living in the UK gives me a lot of options for processed foods so I'm going to be trying to focus more on eating whole foods this year. Many of the plant based options also tend to be vegetarian rather than vegan so perhaps this will help me too.

My biggest worries right now are how to handle cravings for processed foods like cakes, cookies, pizza etc. It continues to amaze me how cheap the unhealthy foods are here!

I have prepared a list of recipes that I will be meal-prepping so I hope it will make the transition smoother :)
Shukhia
Stars: 110
Course: Companion Animals
Courses Completed: 4/30

Hi Natacha!

I went through a vegetarian period before transitioning to plant-based, mainly because I was addicted to sugary and cheesy foods. When I finally decided to go plant-based, at first, I'd eat store-bought processed substitutes like vegan cheese and vegan snacks/sweets. Then slowly I started to cut back on those, because I wanted to free myself from sugar. Whenever I craved anything sweet, I'd either eat some fruit, banana with a little square of >85% dark chocolate, apple with nut butter, or even a couple of dates with nut butter. You can also find many easy (and free!) online recipes for healthier cakes and cookies that you can try out. As for the savory foods like pizza, some places already have vegan pizzas with vegan cheese, if not, just order/make a vegetarian without the cheese or with nutritional yeast (I assure you, it's still yum!).

I hope you'll succeed in your transition! :)