Hello from ATL

Introduce yourself to the vegan bootcamp community here and tell us a little about yourself and your journey!
Marla Martinez-Smith
Stars: 430
Course: Introduction
Courses Completed: 2/31

Hello! My name is Marla. I am a momma to 2 little ones (ages 6 & 1). My 1 year old has several food allergies, which prompted me to get my own allergy testing done. Turns out I am pretty much allergic to all the foods! :face-grimace: I'm hoping this community will help me transition certain foods out of my diet. I'm allergic to several animal-related items: meat-products, several crustaceans, milk; but I also have allergies to numerous plant-based foods including some big ones (almonds, soy, wheat, gluten). Sooooo basically I'm at a loss on what to eat? :cry-unhappy:
Yuriy
Site Admin
Stars: 910
Course: Companion Animals
Courses Completed: 4/33

Hi Marla! Welcome!

Allergies are a challenge. I'm no dietician but I have a friend who deals with a similar challenge, especially with wheat, so I asked her for some recommendations.

A few things she uses are meat substitutes based on pea protein, beans and lentils, and things based on hemp, sunflower, and pumpkin. There are also protein powders based on hemp and pea protein out there that can be used for smoothies. For cheese, there's cashew and coconut cheese. Milk, there's flax, oat, hazelnut, and others.

Some good gluten-free grain options are buckwheat, chickpeas, rice, and millet. Buckwheat is amazing for iron, too. Amaranth. Oats, of course. Quinoa.

Other random great things -- nut butters, such as peanut or cashew. Hummus. Coconut yogurt. Mushrooms are actually a great source of protein.

Hope this helps a bit! :)