Issues with nutrition

Need help? In addition to partnering with PETA for mentors, you can request for a personal mentor here!
Sara Barber

I grew up in a home where my parents believed you had to have meat with every meal. I wanted to go vegan for a while but about a year ago I cut out meat completely and started having dizzy spells and passing out (I also get low blood sugar easily so it may be related to that-plus I do pass out occasionally). Over the past year I’ve been eating meat still because of it but try to limit it, however I’m not sure how to get in all my nutrition without eating meat. Does anyone have a suggestion or advice?
Pope_Rigby
Stars: 780
Course: Family & Friends
Courses Completed: 4/33

Have you tried getting any blood work done? You might have an iron or B12 deficiency.
Stéphanie
Stars: 2130
Course: Eggs
Courses Completed: 16/32

Hey Sara,

When you stop eating animal meat and other animal products you absolutely to replace them by other sources of nutrients. IG is full of resources on what to eat every day to be healthy depending on your lifestyle / country / age etc...

Definitely get a blood check (1 per year is recommended) for protein, calcium, magnesium, B12 and D, and iron (anemia).

I don't know which country you're in, you can let us know here and we'll find you a group of vegan you can contact to help you!

B12 deficiency will take a few years to manifest and happens also for non-vegan because the animal products they eat don't have the bacteria producing the B12 (due to the animals diet and medication)...Iron deficiency is quicker if you don't eat enough of dark green leafy vegetables, such as watercress, broccoli, kale, spring greens, nuts,
dried fruits, lentils, tofu (in any form or shape!) etc...

Be in touch for more!

Stef
Vegan Light
Stars: 400
Course: Self-Care
Courses Completed: 3/33

Oh, dear - that sounds like it is turbulent times. Sometimes when we overtake or outdo our parents, we do pass out just from the sheer joy of that complexity , as it considered rather rude to outdo one's parents as much as it is exhilarating as well but as a vegan you ultimately do land yourself a higher position if nothing else within the family and that might be what's making you pass out. rather than nutrient absorption. becoming vegan is - for most of us - difficult, not because we cannot cook rice for our dinner but because there is this huge conundrum of not eating how you parents have always guided you, but in an entirely different way instead. But it is worth it in the end, you can trust that much. Good luck!

Love and Light

Vegan Light