Breastfeeding

Only registered vegan dietitians can reply to your questions here, but be sure they're specific to your needs!
Amy4
Stars: 590
Course: Companion Animals
Courses Completed: 3/32

Hi there,
I am currently breastfeeding and have gone dairy free due to bub reacting to it. I'm considering easing into veganism (previously vegan/vegetarian) but wondering about the impact this could have on my supply. Any tips? TIA
Emily von Klemperer

Hi Amy, I am not a dietitian but have been successfully nursing very healthy (and large) little ones on a vegan diet for the past 4 years. If you Google "galactagogue" (things that increase a mother's milk production) you'll see that many are vegan! I made sure to keep taking my prenatal vitamin as well as b12, d, and vegan omegas while breastfeeding on a vegan diet, and also to keep up good protein, fat, and calorie content with lots of nuts, legumes (chickpeas, black beans, lentils, tofu as long as your baby doesn't have a soy allergy), and grains (cereals, pasta, rice). I also eat a lot of dark green veggies like kale, spinach, and broccoli. My biggest struggle while nursing has been needing to eat a ton of calories, so I have supplemented with a lot of vegan ice cream. That may not be recommended by the dietitians :-). Best of luck to you, and congratulations on the little one!