Why Go Vegan?

Introduce yourself to the vegan bootcamp community here and tell us a little about yourself and your journey!
James Lance
Stars: 250

A vegan lifestyle prevents a tremendous amount of animal slaughter and suffering. It offers a potent way to shrink our environmental footprint, especially regarding climate change. And a well-planned vegan diet can fuel the highest levels of fitness while reducing our risk of various chronic diseases. Plus, the food is insanely delicious, and it becomes more widely available every year.

Going vegan is also an excellent opportunity to learn more about nutrition and cooking and improve your diet. Getting your nutrients from plant foods allows more room in your diet for health-promoting options like whole grains, fruit, nuts, seeds, and vegetables, which are packed full of beneficial fiber, vitamins, and minerals.

Many vegan foods are rich in plant-based protein, which doesn’t have the harmful health effects of animal-derived protein.
Given how healthy plant-based foods can be, it’s no wonder that more and more people are opting to eat vegan.

Can you guys recommend a good vegan shop or vegan products? Thanks!
Theresa Romeo
Stars: 50
Course: Introduction
Courses Completed: 1/33

I went vegan for myself at first. A lot of heredity health issues run in my family. I want to live a long life. Another reason is the animals. I actually worked in a beef slaughter facility for a short time n it disturbed me. I also realize how terrible it is for the environment. All that water could be used to grow enough food to feed more people.
Cynetta Jackson
Stars: 400
Course: Honey
Courses Completed: 4/33

I am vegan for the health, animal welfare, and environmental aspects. I know that it takes a tremendous amount of energy to run a slaughterhouse and emits alot of carbon gases producing the greenhouse effect; however, I’d like to learn more about the part water plays. Someone please explain.
Wes
Stars: 1450
Course: Companion Animals
Courses Completed: 13/33

Can you guys recommend a good vegan shop or vegan products?
Will's Vegan Store (https://www.wills-vegan-store.com) has a lot of shoes that look attractive on the website, though I haven't been able to find the shoes I want in my size, so I can't vouch for them yet.

Edit: There are actually several other good links within VBC here: https://veganbootcamp.org/course-progre ... l-products
I’d like to learn more about the part water plays. Someone please explain.
You might find this overview interesting: https://thehumaneleague.org/article/wat ... griculture
Christian6

After enough time considering whether or not I feel comfortable continuing to support the massive, corrupt factory farming system prevalent in the West, I decided I could no longer justify eating meat. I do not feel comfortable contributing to the abuse and slaughter of millions of animals. I doubt my individual decision to make this lifestyle change will affect much, but at least I can live in a way that aligns with my personal values.
Liam Gentile
Stars: 20
Course: Dairy Milk

Great discussion, everyone. I went Vegan because I couldn't justify harming others unnecessarily. But it is nice that there are other additional benefits as well!

-------
Wes wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:33 am
Can you guys recommend a good vegan shop or vegan products?
Will's Vegan Store (https://www.wills-vegan-store.com) has a lot of shoes that look attractive on the website, though I haven't been able to find the shoes I want in my size, so I can't vouch for them yet.

I have a pair of Will's Vegan boots (the chelsea boot style). They were uncomfortable the first few times I wore them but they're so comfortable now that they're broken in. I wear them in Canadian winters and find them to do a pretty good job, although they are not advertised as winter boots explicitly. They keep my feet dry too which is great!

Where are you located @James? It would help with providing more specific recommendations :D
Sioux

So far. I'm hearing about Vegetarian food, which I am. I want to know about Vegan lifestyle.