Hi, I'm Wes

Introduce yourself to the vegan bootcamp community here and tell us a little about yourself and your journey!
Wes
Stars: 1450
Course: Companion Animals
Courses Completed: 13/33

Hi everyone! I'm Wes. I signed up for this course after knowing for some time that I ought to look more closely at claims that a vegan lifestyle would help fight climate change. I've been watching a bunch of environmental/climate documentaries that have made this claim. Then I watched Earthlings and knew I could no longer put off figuring out how to take real steps. So here I am!

The thing I am most looking forward to getting out of this course is practical tips for meeting nutritional needs without spending the rest of my life in the kitchen.

The thing I think will be most challenging is integrating a vegan ethic into my household, as my husband of 10 years is not vegan and is not interested in becoming so. I'd love to hear any advice from others coming to this from a mixed-diet home.
Yuriy
Site Admin
Stars: 910
Courses Completed: 4/33

Hi Wes, welcome! It's great to have you here.

Have you watched any of the documentaries together with your husband, particular ones like Earthlings or Dominion that focus on the animals? Or perhaps some of the really good talks out there, like by James Wildman for example.

It can also be helpful to watch how someone like Earthling Ed talks about veganism in discussions non-vegans, become familiar with the common arguments and how to address them. We have a common arguments course here in the bootcamp, but you can also look up Earthling Ed on youtube.

And of course, sharing great vegan food together.

It takes some people a long time, sometimes years, to change their mind. Their Seeing your friends and family not understand the impact of their choices can be one of the hardest things of being vegan -- perhaps the hardest. It's not their fault -- you're up against a lifetime of societal conditioning and being immersed in a culture that normalizes cruelty to animals. So, my best advice is to be persistent and not lose hope.
Liam Gentile
Stars: 20
Course: Dairy Milk

Hey Wes,

That's great that you've acted on what you've learned. That initial decision to act is often what's hardest. While the practical considerations of what to eat may seem daunting at first, I think you'll find that it will quickly become second nature and will indeed seem easy and intuitive with time.

Echoing Yuriy's comment, I wouldn't worry about your husband's initial indication that he has no interest in going Vegan. That may very well change as Veganism becomes more important in your life and he becomes more exposed to it. I would just be patient and be honest and up front about what you believe and why it's important to you.
Wes
Stars: 1450
Courses Completed: 13/33

Thanks, Yuriy and Liam! Those seem like great tips. I haven't heard of James Wildman before - I will look him up. I'm really enjoying the course so far - learning a lot. This is such a great resource!
Crystal Fewtrell
Stars: 3150
Course: Kids
Courses Completed: 28/33

Hi Wes! Wow, are in the same boat. My husband is also not interested in going vegan (nor are my kids- aged 9 and 13). However, I am the person who buys the groceries and I told him recently that I will no longer purchase meat, milk or egg (any animal products) when I go shopping for our household. He supported my decision, thankfully.