Hello from Seattle! I'm Yuriy :)

Introduce yourself to the vegan bootcamp community here and tell us a little about yourself and your journey!
Yuriy
Site Admin
Stars: 910
Course: Companion Animals
Courses Completed: 4/33

Hey folks!

I'm one of the volunteer engineers working on Vegan Bootcamp as of just a week or two ago. A little about me...

I'm 32 and live in the quietest corner of Seattle surrounded by old hippies with crazy vegetable gardens. I've been vegetarian for 8 years and vegan for about 3, mostly for the animals.

I hope to one day have a small animal sanctuary on one of the islands in the Puget Sound, or perhaps in the north of Sweden. Kind of torn between the two. You can probably guess what I like from that -- animals, quiet, cool climates, and lots of pine trees :face-wink:

For now I divide up time between coding and landscape photography. I've worked at a bunch of tech startups before, but it was all for profit and I now want to use my coding skills for something that actually has a positive impact.

Other random fun facts: I love hiking and backpacking. I often play Hearthstone to wind down from the work-day, but when I had more time I played WoW and all kinds of RPGs. Before becoming an engineer I was in a metal band.

If you have any suggestions/feedback or just anything else in general, don't hesitate to reach out! I look forward to being part of this community :grinning-face:
Shukhia
Stars: 110
Courses Completed: 4/30

Hiya!

Seems to me like you have a great plan in mind :) I've always been in love with the idea of having sort of an animal sanctuary aswell. I wish you all the best luck accomplishing it!

Thank you for your work.

Stay safe ^^
Stéphanie
Stars: 2130
Course: Eggs
Courses Completed: 16/32

Hey Yuriy,

Welcome !
Isn't it just fantastic to see how eclectic and commited is this bootcamp!

Take care,

Stephanie
Loreal
Stars: 150
Course: Dominion
Courses Completed: 1/30

Hi! Thank you for working on this project. I love the idea of this bootcamp and I hope to use it to the full.
Aubrey Porter
Stars: 1410
Course: Recipes & Cooking
Courses Completed: 10/31

Hey! I live right near you in the Seattle area, Yuriy—how cool! I’m so pumped that a program like this exists! I had been trying to find information to help me learn about veganism and aid my transition from vegetarian to vegan. Glad I found this.

I initially became curious mostly for environmental reasons, but I’ve been really grateful for the resources here to help me understand the other important factors of why it’s worth putting in the time and energy to change my habits.

Super excited! Thanks for the work you’ve done :))
Aubrey

P.S. that life plan sounds absolutely perfect.
Yuriy
Site Admin
Stars: 910
Courses Completed: 4/33

Thank you for the welcomes, everyone!! :blush-face:
Aubrey Porter wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:39 am Hey! I live right near you in the Seattle area, Yuriy—how cool! I’m so pumped that a program like this exists! I had been trying to find information to help me learn about veganism and aid my transition from vegetarian to vegan. Glad I found this.

I initially became curious mostly for environmental reasons, but I’ve been really grateful for the resources here to help me understand the other important factors of why it’s worth putting in the time and energy to change my habits.

Super excited! Thanks for the work you’ve done :))
Aubrey

P.S. that life plan sounds absolutely perfect.
Oh, a fellow Seattleite! :grinning-face: Super glad to hear the site has been helpful in the transition. A local tip -- protein fortified flax milk by Good Karma at PCC. They also carry Field Roast vegan sausage and a few great seitan things! I like that store a little too much...

Also I'm glad someone approves of my crazy life goals :cold-open: